My Top Hair Products of 2012
I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas wherever you are in the world 🙂 Most ladies, do their pre-Christmas preening, often done in a rush! Lets say I don’t miss the last few hours waiting agonizingly getting my hair done (now I’m a ‘Nubian Natural’ this no longer is a problem for me!).
I’ve now eaten my entire yearly calorie intake in one evening and exhausted my finances in a few days, that on Boxing day, I’ve decided to wind down and think about what hair products I’ve been using and taking time to reflect on them as well as review them. I’m hoping that I may try a few new ones next year, as I just cannot help myself! But I have my staples I know I will always go back to if all else fails!
Aubrey Organics Glycogen Protein conditioner
Since discovering Aubrey Organics Glycogen Protein Conditioner, I have not looked back! What I’ve learnt to do with it, is to use every 4-6 weeks, as my hair does not take kindly to frequent protein use. It is great to use in addition to co-washing, but not in large amounts. It gives even better results with a steamer or a hood-dryer to get the maximum benefits of a silky soft feel of a deep condition. It is made of milk proteins and glycogen to strengthen the hair.
- Leaves my hair unbelievably soft and nourished
- Is a great protein-rich conditioner
- It isn’t too expensive
- It is widely available especially online on Amazon, British Curlies and the Aubrey Organics website.
- It is great if you want a conditioner that is silicone, sulphate, paraben and glycerin free!
- Great to use for deep conditioning with or without heat!
- It doesn’t wash out as easily, so ensure to rinse well
- Its ‘natural’ scent can be off-putting, in fact it made me feel nauseous. I switched to the Lavender and Ylang Ylang scented version and this was the perfect solution, as now it smells good and does a great job.
- If used too frequently, it can cause more hair breakage, thus use it every 4-6 weeks as opposed to every week
Tresemme Naturals Conditioner
This is one of my favourite hair conditioners which I used as a staple for co-washing. Whether you are a ‘natural’ or not, this conditioner has had great reviews and there is reason for this:
- Cheap, cheap, cheap! Tresemme Naturals Conditioners often are sold with great deals such as 2-for-1’s. Shop around at Superdrugs or local supermarkets for bargains. You can also find them quite easily online.
- Use a co-wash- you can use large amounts of this product as it is inexpensive, but is great to use if you are not a fan of shampoos.
- It is great to use when detangling your hair, especially if you do this step before you wash your hair. It gives great slip and makes the wash-process so much more easier.
- Sometimes I mix a bit with my main conditioner when I want to deep condition and I find it gives my hair an extra bit of oomph!
- It smells gorgeous- my favourite is the Tresemme Naturals Vibrantly Smooth Conditioner which is infused with the sweet smell of Coconut oil and Jojoba Leaf extract. However I get the same benefits with the Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture Conditioner with the aroma of Avocado and Aloe Vera which smells devine, but is still my second favourite of the two!
- It is silicone free, thus my hair feels much more hydrated and less stripped of moisture. Moisturised hair equals Healthier Hair!
- Using it a deep conditioner by itself doesn’t give the best finish and the hair can still seem less supple afterwards
- Make sure you wash it out fully as I found it became an irritant to my scalp if I didn’t take care to do this. I know some naturals endorse using it as a leave-in conditioner, but this is against the product advice, and my scalp certainly did not agree with it!
Herbal Essences Hello Hydration
Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Conditioner was only recently introduced to me. I was a bit sceptical of this product, but I was pleasantly surprised. What are your thoughts about it?
- Cheap and cheerful on the pocket!
- Widely available- everywhere! You can pick it up off any supermarket store without any problems!
- It smells devine! I am a fan of great smelling products, especially when the Hawaiian Coconut and Orchid scent fills you with much warmth! If it smells good and makes my hair feel good, then it is a win-win situation.
- To be honest, I picked up the conditioner as the Tresemme Naturals conditioner had been sold out. My hair does feel very soft and manageable using it as a co-wash. I also used it to detangle my hair and it worked very well.
- It washes out very easily.
- It is not so ‘au naturelle’- it contains dimethicones, sulphates and parabens- not good if you are solely trying to avoid these ingredients
- I don’t think I will be using it a s deep conditioner due to the above, but it will definitely suffice as a co-wash
- It is quite thick and stodgy- not like the Tresemme Naturals so I thought it wasnt as easy to apply. I felt the product only lasted me 2-3 washes at most whereas Tresemme Naturals would last me twice as many washes due to its lighter, creamier consistency which I prefer.
Curl Junkie Conditioners
Well most of what I think about the Curl Junkie Curl Rehab Moisturising Hair Treatment product is written on my post here! My other favourite Curl Junkie Conditioner is the sweet-smelling Curl Junkie Hibiscus & Banana Deep Fix Moisturising Conditioner.
In short- I love Curl Junkie products, but the best of all their products I have tried are these two conditioners. They smell delectable, leave my hair soft and huggable and my partner comments on how great my hair smells when I use them! Well what can I say? They are definitely keepers!
- Smells good!
- Feels good- my hair feels nourished every single time when used as a deep conditioner with my steamer!
- A little goes a long way which is great!
- Fortunately it smells good enough to eat- but unfortunately you cannot, so don’t!
- You cannot get it to buy in UK stores- well not any that I have shopped in, but you can buy it online in many places such as British Curlies and Amazon.co.uk.
- I wouldn’t say that it is ‘cheap’. Some may consider it to be moderately priced, but because it does a great job, I don’t mind pushing the boat out when purchasing a good quality product that gives great results.
Aloe Vera Juice Whole Leaf
I use this as part of my hair spray where I add in a few teaspoons to my water bottle with a few drops of oil. I Water My Afro and seal-in with my favourite unrefined Shea Butter or oils such as jojoba or Jamaican Black Castor Oil.
Jamaican Black Castor Oil
Have a read about this ‘wonder oil’ which is hailed to have great benefits for hair. I am a fan of Jamaican Black Castor Oil mainly for the reasons below:
- It really, really, really nourishes the ends of my hair after spritzing with water. When I undo my two-strand twists for the next day, my hair ends just say ‘thankyou‘ to me as they feel bouncy and energized with health!
- A little goes a long way! You do not need ample amounts. Therefore the oil can last you for a long time, especially if you are not using it everyday.
- I add this to my Kim Love of Luv Naturals famous ‘leave in conditioner’ which I was initially made aware of after watching nearly all of her 100 inspiring KimmayTube videos about her hair journey.
- I wouldn’t use it everyday or your hair can get quite sticky and pick up dirt quite easily
- It is not cheap for the size of the product. You may expect to pay £10 for 150mls of the product.
- I wouldn’t use it a s detangling oil as it is too thick and it is likely to hinder the process as oppose to make it easier!
- As it is a thick oil, you may find it is important to definitely use your silk scarf or you may have a heavily oil-stained pillow case!
This is definitely a staple of my oil repertoire and is definitely a keeper!
- It is light oil which is versatile.
- I add this to my water spray bottle which works a treat!
- I add it to my KimmayTube-type Leave-in conditioner and it is a great addition to the end of my weekly washing regime.
- I use it as a detangler before washing my hair which gives great slip!
- You can use it as an overnight conditioner by applying it and covering your hair with a plastic cap- it makes you hair nice and nourished prior to your wash day!
- It is great to take with you to the gym as I often use it as my body cream and makes your skin feel dreamy especially after a sauna.
- It is quite cheap and widely available!
- The only con (which isn’t really a con for many people) I wouldn’t use it solely as a deep conditioner as it is not as effective, but can be a great addition to one!
Kinky Curly Custard Leave in
I have used this Kinky Curly Knot Today Leave-in for more than 1 year since going natural and I will continue to do so as it works for me!
- It is great as part of the multi-product Kimmay Leave-in Concoction!
- It is reasonably priced
- It smells good
- It is silicone, paraben and petroleum free!
- It doesn’t really work solely as a detangler for me. I did try it by itself once but made my hair feel dry.
- My hair also feels dry if used as a leave in conditioner by itself.
- You cant often find it in the shop in the UK, but you can buy it online.
Green People Hair gel
If you need your hair to lay flat, but you are not a fan of hair gels, then try the Green Peoples Natural Aloe Vera Styling Gel. Since being recommended it by a friend, It has been my trusted gel and definitely allows me to achieve my desired look.
- Widely available
- A little goes a looooooonnnggg way, believe me. In fact, I sometimes mix it with oil or spritz of water to apply to the sides, front and back, then tie a silk scarf on my head. After a few minutes, my hair looks flat and neat!
- I am not a huge fan of the scent of Lavender. Somehow, I manage to ignore it as I only use a small amount
So guys, these are my 2012 staples! I wonder what 2013 will bring for my natural locks? What have been your experiences of the above? Do you have any of your own staples you would like to share? If you have any tips leave a comment! Lets start a discussion!